A couple of months ago, I decided to buy the Globe at Home Prepaid Wifi as my other internet sucks because of some cabling issues at my place. Argh!
I bought the Globe Home Prepaid WiFi, which is a plug-and-play LTE WiFi router that comes with a Globe prepaid SIM card, from the Globe Store at Greenbelt. It’s 1,999 pesos with a free 10 GB which can be used upon activation. Oh, and on a side note, they have an ongoing promo where you can save 500 pesos if you’ll swap your old Globe pocket Wifi for the Globe at Home Prepaid Wifi.
What’s inside the box?
How to set it up?
- Plug the Wi-fi.
- Connect your device to the network name that matches the SSID found at the bottom label of the modem. Enter the WIFI key as your password.
How to configure the modem?
- Connect your device to the network name.
- Launch the browser and access 192.168.254.254.
- On the landing page, click Log In and enter the default username and password which are found also at the bottom label of the modem.
4. Upon log in, menus are available. You can customize the network name and password through the WIFI Settings menu.
How to activate the free 10GB?
- Download the Globe at Home app from Google Play or from App Store.
- Connect your phone to the Globe Prepaid wifi network.
- Input the Prepaid Wifi number.
- Enter the 4-digit verification code which you can view by accessing 192.168.254.254 and checking the SMS tab.
- Secure the app by nominating a PIN.
- On the app’s dashboard, click “Activate Now”.
What are the Surf Promos?
- GoSURF 50 – 1 GB for PhP 50.00 (valid for 3 days)
- HomeSURF 15 – 1 GB for PhP 15.00 (add-on for GoSURF 50 and all HomeSURF promos, valid for 1 day)
- HomeSURF 199 – 5 GB + FREE 7 GB for PhP 199.00 (valid for 7 days)
- HomeSURF 599 – 15 GB + FREE 25 GB for PhP 599.00 (valid for 15 days)
- HomeSURF 999 – 30 GB + FREE 35 GB for PhP 999.00 (valid for 30 days)
- HomeSURF 1499 – 45 GB + FREE 55 GB for PhP 1,499.00 (valid for 30 days)
How to reload?
There are a couple of ways to subscribe to promos:
A. By texting the keyword and sending it to 2 + the 10-digit Prepaid number.
B. By clicking “Get More Data” on the app. You can choose either to charge it to your Globe/TM mobile number via Share-A-Promo or to use your credit/ debit card via Webloading.
Note: If you have used up the allocated data, you can always register to any HomeSurf promo even if your previous enrollment hasn’t expired yet.
Here are the random tests I did in Makati.
|Date||Time||Download (Mbps)||Upload (Mbps)||Ping|
|September 17, 2018||1:09 PM||5.64||1.33||283|
|October 6, 2018||10:00 AM||7.84||0.27||262|
|November 14, 2018||2:42 PM||13.02||0.31||74|
Well, this isn’t as stable as I expected. This isn’t also for people who love heavy streaming and downloading as the WIFI signal can get crappy at times (no Netflix, sad). But, I’m sticking to it for now while we’re still figuring out the cabling issues because it offers me a lot of flexibility as I only reload when needed. Plus, promos are a lot cheaper than having a Globe Postpaid plan.
Update as of May 23, 2019:
Upon checking the promo at their Greenbelt store is no longer available.