Howdy! It’s been weeks since my last update as I am very busy with work and finalizing all the requirements for my new job. Yes, I have resigned from my current work! But, it’s so kalurks because my new company, which is in Makati, has so many requirements and one of which is the Individual Working Permit (IWP)/ Health Certificate (HC). I’ll be discussing on this post the steps on how to get an Individual Working Permit in Makati.
What is IWP?
I think it is previously called as Individual Mayor’s Permit. It is issued by the Local Government to individuals who work within the jurisdiction of Makati City, and it is required to be renewed annually. There are several criteria to be noted in determining if you will be required to get an IWP. You may read more information about this here.
What is a Health Certificate?
It is a prerequisite before getting the IWP. This just certifies that you are in good condition to work.
This post is only applicable to those who will get their IWP/ HCs from Makati City and those who have their Pre-Employment Medical Exams (PEME) results ready before going to the City Hall since you will be required to submit your PEME results, especially the X-Ray’s. If you haven’t undergone any medical exams beforehand, there are additional procedures that you have to do but this won’t be covered here.
Requirements in getting the IWP/ HC
1. 1×1 ID picture
2. Copies of your PEME and X-Ray results
3. NBI Clearance or Police Clearance
4. Community Tax Certificate (CTC) or Cedula
How to get an Individual Working Permit in Makati?
1. Go to Makati City Hall Building II.
Address: 110 F.Zobel, Poblacion, Makati, 1210 Metro Manila
2. Once you’re in Building II, proceed to the Sanitary Permit window at the Ground Floor.
3. Fill out the Individual Health Certificate Job Order Form.
4. Submit the accomplished form to the Sanitary Permit window 1 or 2 or 3 so they could input your information to their database.
5. Once okay, you will be advised to proceed to the Cashier at the Ground Floor. Pay 100.00.
6. Go back to Sanitary Permit window 4 and submit the Official Receipt (OR) from the Cashier, the properly filled out Individual Health Certificate Job Order Form, your 1×1 ID picture, and copies of your PEME and X-Ray results. Once okay, the Window 4 personnel will give you the Health Certificate.
7. Proceed to the 7th floor of the Makati City Hall Building I for the Orientation.
8. At the 7th floor, you will be asked to log your name and answer a form called REACH.
9. Attend the 15-minute Orientation and wait for the lecturer to hand you the Certificate of Attendance after the lecture.
10. If you have no CTC or Cedula yet, proceed to the 3rd floor of Building I.
11. Fill out the form and present it to the Cedula guy.
12. Pay the ~hefty~ amount of community tax as stated on your Cedula, especially if you are a professional.
Note: The Cedula guy even asked me to submit my 2316 for last year so he could compute my community tax and truthfully I didn’t have any that day. He just manually computed it.
13. Go to the Permit Office window at the Ground Floor of Building II and fill out the IWP Application form. Submit it along with your other documents (i.e. Certificate of Attendance, Health Certificate, OR, copy of your x-ray results, Cedula, and NBI Clearance).
14. Receive your IWP with 1-year validity.
My two cents:
I’ve been working for eight years now and I’ve been part of three different companies, two of which is in Mandaluyong and the other one is in Taguig, but none of these required me to submit an IWP or HC of any sorts. During the requirements discussion, I even asked the representative from the company that I’ll be transferring to what are these documents for. She said that, apparently, it is mandated by the Local Government of Makati. Their company is considered by the Local Government as Business Process Outsourcing so I needed to secure the IWP even if my job falls under consultancy.
I really don’t understand the objective of IWP/ HC. I instantly thought that it is an overkill. Why? Because you have to get the HC on top of the Medical Certificate issued by your company’s accredited clinic, and the latter would be the City’s basis in handing you out the former. Isn’t that a redundancy? Does the Medical Certificate released by a clinic not suffice or vouch that you are fit to work (or unfit to work)?
They also say that it is a means to check if you are paying the taxes correctly, as vouched by the CTC or Cedula issued to you. But, as mentioned, you are not really obliged to submit BIR 2316 and you can even declare in the CTC or Cedula a lower salary than what you are actually getting because, again, they have no way to check it.
Also, whatever happened to the petition to abolish the CTC or Cedula? It’s a just superfluous way to collect taxes and it doesn’t serve any purpose.
Now you ask me, “then why there are local governments that require all employees to get IWP/ HC?” I don’t know. Last time I check we’re in the Philippines where some local officials ~shrewdly~ think of ways to collect “revenues” legally. Or, maybe it has a rationale that I don’t understand and I need someone to enlighten me on this matter?
So, if I may add a number 15 step, that would be: safe-keep your IWP, curse bureaucracy, and go home.